Today was a relatively easy day for me. Woke up around 10AM and went to do my weekly cardio. I was instructed by Mr. Pain to do a 30 minute workout instead of the typical hour I was doing before my 30 day journey began. The 30 minutes consist of a 5 minute warm up followed by 2 minutes at 130-140 SPM (Strides Per Minute) then down to about 90 SPM for 1 minute, all at level 9. After 20 minutes of alternating, I cool down for 5 minutes. Relatively easy compared to the exercises Mr. Pain has me do! Afterward, it's "Hey! Protein!”
Since there's nothing much to write about today, I thought I'd post about why I decided to commit to these 30 days (finally huh?) I'm sure some of you are probably thinking it's a midlife crisis. It seems like the most logical explanation but also a very sad one for me since I'm only 35. =( But since you can probably interpret a "midlife" crisis in many different ways, it may not be that far from the truth.
I'd like to think of it more as a realization.
What do I realize?
I realize that we live in a new world. A world that's seeing a far greater rate of increase in population and "progress" than when our parents were growing up. I'm seeing a planet being polluted and our food sources contaminated. I'm seeing global warming and climate change happen right before our eyes. If our life's purpose is to procreate, what are we leaving to our children?
So what does this have to do with me working out for 30 days?
I decided that I needed to rebalance my life in these 30 days, both mentally and physically. I’m sure many of you have heard people say that without good health, nothing else really matters. I've heard that so many times from so many people much wiser than me, so I decided to finally take action. I don’t plan to change the world in these 30 days. I have more modest goals. Simply to build a strong foundation for a healthy lifestyle. With a healthy mind and body, I will be better equipped to understand what my role is on this planet.
What do you think?
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think what you're doing is very admirable. I would hope my kids do something similar Often in their lives. We are living in an exciting, yet scary time. Never in history has the rate of advancement been so exponential. Yet, things in many ways seem "out of control". You are at least taking control of what you can...starting with yourself. You actually motivated me to go to the gym today after about 5 weeks of laziness. I use to think often about my role on this planet, but lately i've been on autopilot...and just waiting for the weekend. Maybe you should devote a small portion of your Blog to this "realization" and your "mental rebalancing" during this month as well...like you did today. Keep up the good work, you inspire me! Read Tuesdays with Morrie.
i agree.. i definitely commend (and envy) you for taking time out for self-improvement - not just physically, but more importantly mentally. keep it up! :-D
Post a Comment